Home Page
Areas Page
EPC Page
HIP Page
Contact Page
Meet The Team Page
Prices Page
Complaints Page
Testimonials Page

Who needs them & what are they?
Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) give information on how to make your home more energy efficient and reduce carbon dioxide emissions.
From October 1st 2008 all buildings rented out or sold will require an energy performance certificate. Northwest Energy Assessment Services are accredited to Stroma Accreditation Ltd as Domestic Energy Assessors and are approved Energy Performance Certificate providers to solicitors, estate agents, landlords, and direct to the home seller.

What an EPC looks like?
Information about energy efficiency and carbon emissions is summarised in two charts that show the energy and carbon dioxide emission ratings. The charts look similar to those supplied on electrical appliances, like fridges and washing machines. To see an example of an Energy Performance Certificate, use the link below.

Which buildings need an EPC?
An EPC is required when a building is constructed, rented or sold. A building will need an EPC if it has a roof and walls and uses energy to ‘condition an indoor climate’. This means it has heating, air conditioning or mechanical ventilation. For example, a garden shed would not need an EPC if it doesn’t have any heating.
The building can either be a whole building or part of a building that has been designed or altered to be used separately. If a building is made up of separate units, each with its own heating system, each unit will need an EPC.

Which buildings don’t need an EPC?
The following buildings don’t need an EPC when they are built, rented or sold:
• Places of worship
• Temporary buildings that will be used for less than two years
standalone buildings with total useful floor area of less than 50 metres squared that aren’t used to provide living accommodation for a single household
industrial sites, workshops and non-residential agricultural buildings that don't use a lot of energy.

Energy use and carbon dioxide emissions.
EPCs carry ratings that compare the current energy efficiency and carbon dioxide emissions with potential figures that your home could achieve. Potential figures are calculated by estimating what the energy efficiency and carbon dioxide emissions would be if energy saving measures were put in place.
The rating measures the energy and carbon emission efficiency of your home using a grade from ‘A’ to ‘G’. An ‘A’ rating is the most efficient, while ‘G’ is the least efficient. The average efficiency grade to date is 'D'. All homes are measured using the same calculations, so you can compare the energy efficiency of different properties.
Around 27 per cent of the UK’s carbon dioxide emissions come from domestic homes. Carbon dioxide contributes to climate change.

The recommendation report
EPCs also provide a detailed recommendation report showing what you could do to help reduce the amount of energy you use and your carbon dioxide emissions. The report lists:
• Suggested improvements, like fitting loft insulation
possible cost savings per year, if the improvements are made
• How the recommendations would change the energy and carbon emission rating of the property
You don’t have to act on the recommendations in the recommendation report. However, if you decide to do so, it could make your property more attractive for sale or rent by making it more energy efficient.